Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Follow-up to 26th October 2009 Posting

Follow-up to 26th October 2009 Post
By Charles A. Hall

Back on the 26th of October 2009 I posted my great disappointment for Congressman Jason Chaffetz (R-UT).  I stated in that article, quote: "Why am I disappointed? Well, maybe it is too much to ask but I've never heard a single word back from Congressman Chaffetz since he won the Republican Nomination back in 2008 and has been in office since January 2009. Not one word!"  At the time of my writing that article that was very true, I hadn't heard a single word from my Congressman.

What many individuals don't know is that your Congressman in the House of Representatives is suppose to be your direct link to the Federal Government.  The Founding Fathers set up the Federal Government that the House of Representatives (also known as The Lower House) was to represent The People directly within certain districts of a state.  The Senate (also known as The Upper House) was to represent the States, giving the States a voice in the Federal Government with two Senators each.  The 17th Amendment (http://bit.ly/ft274w) changed that in 1913.  Now The People both elect their Congressman and two Senators.

Your direct life line to the Federal Government is your Congressman, your Representative in the House.  If that individual doesn't communicate with you what they are doing in Washington, D.C., what they are doing with your tax dollars, what they are doing to represent you that individual no longer deserves to represent you.  That is how I felt about Congressman Chaffetz ten months into his first term.  Since then my opinion has changed.

I have written the Congressman several times and have heard back from him on different issues.  I am very confident in his voting record and standing up for the People of his District, the State of Utah, and the US Constitution.  The October 2010 of The New American's Freedom Index showed that the Congressman had a 93% rating (http://bit.ly/fGQXLK).  That for his votes in the 111th Congress the Congressman was in line with the Constitution 93% of the time.  So there is some room for some improvement, but not much.  For that I am thankful.

I'm happy and proud to state that I voted for the Congressman during the 2010 Midterm Elections.  I'm glad he is getting on the right track.  Rumor has it that he maybe getting a Chair in one of the House Subcommittees in the 112th Congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to be civil. You have the First Amendment, but LER has the 'delete' button. Any cursing, swearing, or the like will be deleted. Any personal attacks will be dealt with on a case by case. Please keep it civil and on topic.